About the Zcash Company
We're on a mission to give everyone on Earth an open, inclusive financial system, and we need your help.
The Zcash Company is at the forefront of the Internet Money revolution. Fueled by scientific discovery and guided by love for humanity, we are aiming to create a global, open economic fabric which will provide financial inclusion to potentially two billion unbanked people. We feel that we are part of something that is much bigger than ourselves.
Our flagship network, Zcash, launched in the fall of 2016 has quickly grown to be one of the most valued and admired cryptocurrencies/blockchains in the world.
We believe in integrity, inclusivity, and openness. Our work springs out of passion, but we temper our enthusiasm with respect for our co-workers and families. We strive to create an environment for psychological safety, empowerment, sense of purpose, and challenging work for our multifarious team. We have a highly collaborative, ego-less, open, highly diverse, friendly work environment. Decentralization is one of our core values. We want to help bring about the next great paradigm shift characterized by decentralization at a massive scale.
Today the company is distributed and everyone works remotely but since we are growing quite rapidly, we have decided to locate our first physical office in Denver-Boulder area.
Currently the company is mostly comprised of scientists, researchers and software developers who all specialize in software security, privacy and cryptography. We are now expanding our knowledge in other pertinent areas by adding new team members with more diverse experience.
Who We Are Looking For
Our team is the cornerstone of our company's strategy to build a permissionless inclusive global financial platform. Our flagship product, the Zcash reference client, underpins a global permissionless fungible financial platform. The right applicant will cultivate our team and continue our tradition of releasing secure cutting edge cryptographic software.
We believe in emergent team intelligence. We think that a high functioning team is greater than the sum of its parts. We seek people who are “multipliers.” People who create a positive and supportive environment for the people around them. People who demonstrate a high degree of conscientiousness with their team members and in their work. We highly value good sense of humor, humility, selflessness, flexibility, good judgment, calmness, reliability, curiosity, strong desire for mastery, and independent thinking.
We love humble geniuses.
We care a lot about behavioral traits, talent, internal drive and experience, but only if our values and general philosophy match can we create real magic! We are looking for people who are driven by purpose. We believe that great employees are motivated by the mission, the team and challenging problems.
Our team builds a permissionless, inclusive, global financial platform through the power of exotic math. Our flagship product, the Zcash reference client, allows people to transact with our cryptocurrency, Zcash (ZEC). The right applicant will cultivate our team and continue our tradition of releasing secure cutting edge cryptographic software.
We are a high functioning team greater than the sum of its parts, with people that create a supportive environment and demonstrate conscientiousness. We have a strong ethos of professional conduct, which requires empathy and emotional intelligence to collaborate well with people of widely different backgrounds, personalities, and skill sets.
What are we looking for: Android Developer
We have made progress on upgrading our cryptocurrency to make our computationally intensive privacy features efficient enough to run on mobile devices. This upgrade is set to release in late October, and we want to increase adoption of those privacy features.
As our first Android developer, you will first work with a team of designers, protocol designers, and backend engineers to build a mobile reference wallet. We hope that this reference wallet allows the zcash community developers to build their own Zcash clients. We have not committed to building and supporting our own product yet, but that could be what’s next. We are also excited by the possibility of applications that highlight unique features of our cryptocurrency.
We're flexible, but we're looking for someone with experience developing professional-grade Android applications. When applying, list applications you have worked on so we can take a look.
Requirements and expectations
- US Permanent Residents or Citizens only
- Experience with Java/C/C++
- Professional software engineering experience
- Familiarity with best practices for the entire SDLC
- Familiarity with common design patterns
- Working with cross functional teams
- Management of your own projects
- Being a technical resource for other team members
- Providing code reviews and pull-request reviews
- Help recruit, assess, and mentor new candidates
Benefits we offer
- Strong compensation with competitive base (USD) and equity (ZEC)
- Excellent health insurance coverage with company paid monthly premiums
- Opportunity to work on projects with potential for global transformation
- A highly seasoned team that knows cryptocurrency and cryptography
- Time for self-determined projects that can potentially benefit the company
Our ethos, logos and pathos
- Design for security, efficiency, consistency, clarity, reusability, and extensibility.
- Understand business challenges and treat lines of code as business decisions.
- Iterate and ship code as quickly as it is possible to maintain quality.
- Maintain system quality using automated QA techniques.
- Approach software design with “systems thinking.”
- Reduce complexity and simplify whenever possible.
- Don’t optimize too early. Make code correct first, fast second.
- Choose elements with low external complexity and high internal complexity.
- Comment the intent of the code, not what it’s doing.
- Write code defensively and be a little paranoid about potential attacks.
- Deal with problems early to keep technical debt low. Refactor often.
- Actively seek criticism and give feedback with caution and care for each other.
- We continuously codify the lessons learned and incorporate them into the codebase.
Why take this job? Why not join some other startup? Here are a few reasons:
- We're well-funded. As precarious as the crypto markets may be, we have a multi-year runway and we are working to increase the runway by diversifying income streams.
- We believe in self-care. Our CTO just got back from parental leave, and we move meetings for colleagues' personal obligations. Your life comes first.
- Flexible work arrangements. You can live where you want, or work from our Denver office. If you would like to move to Denver, we pay for relocation.